[Blindtlk] Tips In Dealing With Family Members

Nicholas robertson.nicholas at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 28 23:19:44 UTC 2013

Hi,

I know I post when I need advice, and I need to try to share experiences, but do any of you have tips on dealing with family members who don't get it?  By it I mean blindness and the fact that we are humans who deserve independence like anyone else.  Both sides of my family seem to think that my independence means that my love for them has decreased because I don't let them dictate my life anymore.  Training and the NFB has shown me that the blind can serve as equal when given an opportunity.  I have changed but they have not.  I'm not sure they ever will.  I don't want to cut all ties with them, but feel liberated when I am not around them and sucked down when I am.  However, I keep going back to them for advice and "normal" stuff.  However, when I seek empathy I don't get it.  I willingly take your help, and won't respond until I cool down.  I am known to allow my feelings to get the best of me.  Thanks for your help.  I plan to thank those who respond in a couple of days.

Nicholas S. Robertson, MBA
Phone: 641.660.2475
Email: robertson.nicholas at hotmail.com
            nicholas.robertson2 at va.gov