[Blindtlk] Tips In Dealing With Family Members

Mark Tardif markspark at roadrunner.com
Sun Dec 29 00:16:16 UTC 2013

Hi, Nicholas.

I am not sure what you mean by saying you go back to your family for "normal
stuff."  Please correct me if I'm wrong, and it certainly wouldn't be the
first time, but when you say that, it almost makes me wonder if you yourself
have doubts about your own abilities as a blind person.  Again, I may be
woefully off the mark here, so please feel free to let me know that.  But if
this is the case, it may make it that much harder for you to convince your
family that you are a perfectly functioning person who has good blindness
skills.  In certain areas, when I was a teenager, I literally had to prove
my mobility skills to my parents and in some instances had to bug them so
much that they finally let me have my way.  It's hard to do that, and I love
my parents dearly, but sometimes that kind of confrontation cannot be
avoided.  In some instances, I would just do what I wanted, pretty much
regardless of whether they thought I could or not, and I suppose I had the
advantage of living far away from my family for many years.  But even now
when I am with my parents, I insist on using my cane, for example.  I think
we have reached an understanding that I am independent, but at the same time
that doesn't mean I won't ask them for help from time to time.  Even though
we live in what is normally a very snowy area this winter, for example, I
walk pretty much whenever I want to do so, for example, and all my parents
say are things like, "Okay, but watch out for the ice," and that's fine, but
they know that they shouldn't try to overprotect or restrict me, because I
simply won't let them.  I will let them know gently, but I will do it.  It's
a hard battle, and I am sure you will find much supportive feedback on this
list.

Mark Tardif
Nuclear arms will not hold you.