[Blindtlk] Tips In Dealing With Family Members

Lauren Merryfield lauren at catlines.com
Sun Dec 29 05:26:19 UTC 2013

Hi,
Our changing through the years when family members may seem not to is quite
normal. They need to want to understand where you're coming from and some
family members might but some may not. I wonder if you have ever reassured
them that you still love them as much as you always have and that sometimes
love means letting go of old ideas or opinions about your independence etc.

My parents are still overprotective and they've always been a mix of
overprotective and insisting that I do things all at the same time--mixed
feelings and mixed messages from way back. I think my parents wanted to make
sure I did all the normal things other offspring do, on one hand, and they
feared my getting hurt or even killed, on the other hand. It was hard for
them to let go. I moved out when I was in my twenties. Then it was up to me
to do whatever I would do. I just do what I do most of the time now. I'm
always glad to see them but I mostly just sit around with them now that they
are older.

When my daughter reached new steps of independence, I was sometimes fearful,
but I tried to remember that my job as a parent was to help her be as
self-sufficient as possible and that eventually she would not need me that
much. And she is sighted.
Thanks
Lauren