[Blindtlk] Tips In Dealing With Family Members

Nicholas robertson.nicholas at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 31 00:41:23 UTC 2013

Hello all-I thank you kindly for your responses.  I've since found out some things regarding southern Iowa.  So the following is the short version with disturbing details left out; There are friends and family members (in small towns we all know everybody) whom continue to feel abandoned (by God and other things).  Siblings of such people have left, of those, I know about, two people are sighted and the other is blind.  She was treated similar to myself.  These people grew weary of the closed minded bigotry that they were experiencing so they've left and   rarely return.  If they do it is usually for extraordinary circumstances.  Some even have specified that their families not know that they've returned for whatever reason.  Those people who remain are very passionate about their way of life and consider their residency a privilege.  My family fits this mold.

So, those who have specified that its not a blindness thing, your right.  However, that is what I was experiencing.  That being said, I used the word empathy as an umbrella term for putting yourself in someone else's shoes.  I've met several sighted people who do this very well.  Some even ask questions to further their misunderstandings toward the subject.  I may be using this term incorrectly.  I also may have been thinking too narrow (i.e. making things a blindness thing when they were not).

This has been some overwhelming information to take in.  Not from this list, but the happenings regarding a place I felt very good about  and people I thought I could trust.  It is the trust part that will take some time to repair.  This both trusting myself and others.  In mulling this over and reading my Bible I think it is best for me to take a break from a place and people that have put me in some compromising positions.  I wouldn't be the first person from "home" to feel this way.  As previously stated, some only return for extraordinary circumstances.  I've decided to let them have their way of life.  However, at this point in mine I'm choosing not to be a part of things that I don't agree with.

I thank you all for your advice and support.  I hope your holiday season continues to be blessed.

Nicholas S. Robertson, MBA
Phone: 641.660.2475
Email: robertson.nicholas at hotmail.com
            nicholas.robertson2 at va.gov