[Blindtlk] product advice

Chris Nusbaum dotkid.nusbaum at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 02:05:07 UTC 2013

Gloria and all,

	I wouldn't go with the PacMate were I you. Not only was the last
update a few years ago as Gloria said, but the PacMate is running an
operating system (Windows Mobile) which has been abandoned by Microsoft for
(I believe) two years now. If you are buying a dedicated notetaker, I would
go with either the BrailleNote Apex or one of the Sense notetakers. There is
also the new Braille Plus 18 from APH, which is a notetaker which runs the
Android operating system and therefore supports many Android apps. Not sure
what the price is on the Braille Plus, but I'd imagine it's still relatively
expensive. I would advise you (Sarah) to look at your options and the prices
of those options and decide what you want to purchase or whether you want to
buy a notetaker at all.

	Mike, I agree with you. Despite all my complaints about Humanware
and the BrailleNote, notetakers still have their place and I use mine
regularly (although not for as much as I used to.) Regarding your comment
about Braille support for iOS, there is in fact a way I have found to go
from the beginning of a text to the end of it using a Braille display or a
notetaker. If my cursor is in the text field, I do the Braille equivalent to
a double-tap command (space with 3-6 on the BrailleNote.) This puts the
insertion point at the end of the document, which would be the equivalent of
double-tapping on a text field (when it is editing) on the touch screen. I
hope this helps!

Good luck in making your decision,

Chris