[Blindtlk] blind people being loners

Diane Graves princess.di2007 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 26 03:09:47 UTC 2013

Hi Steve and All,

I would agree with Steve. I think that my blindness is a contributing factor
to why I often have trouble making friends with sighted people, but it isn't
the characteristic itself. It goes much deeper than that. Even at work, I
have good working relationships with most all of the people in my office,
but not many who I would really call friends.

My blindness is a factor because I didn't get the support and affirmation
that I needed growing up. I know that my family loved me, but it was clear
that they sometimes felt my blindness made me inferior. Thus, they did
little to combat similar perspectives of the other sighted people who
surrounded me at church and other places. This, among other things, eroded
my self-esteem over the years, and has made me somewhat introverted. I have
a hard time with chit chat and taking the initiative. Because of many of the
misconceptions and attitudes that others have about blindness, it is often
necessary for us to take that initiative in order to form friendships.

I know a good many totally blind people who do not face these barriers at
all. They are extroverted, outgoing and confident. So, in a roundabout way,
blindness isolates me on the social scene sometimes, but again, it isn't the
fact that I am blind. It is the way I have developed emotionally and come to
see myself as a person.

In my case, my hearing impairment plays a role in the situation also, I'm
sure.

Diane Graves