[Blindtlk] Use of the Term Visually Impaired

Desiree Oudinot turtlepower17 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 21 21:01:51 UTC 2013

Person first language has always seemed a bit nitpicky to me. Either
way, the term is the same. Adjusting the order of words does not
change the tone in which it's said, for example. If someone is
stuttering and fumbling in desperation, trying to appear politically
correct, I really don't care what term they use, or what order they
say it in, as long as they can find some semblance of comfort so they
can move past that and get to know me as a person. by the same token,
anyone with enough spite or hatred in their heart can make any number
of phrases or statements sound like a curse.
In other words, far too much emphasis is placed on the ways in which
words or terms are used. If we would all relax about it, and allow
people to say what they're comfortable with, rather than trying to
shove a certain ideal down their throats that blind, or visually
impaired, or what have you, is the *only* acceptable, politically
correct thing to say, a lot of awkwardness would be avoided, leading
to more easily flowing conversations, educational experiences, and so
on.