[Blindtlk] Use of the Term Visually Impaired

Laz Mesa lazaro6 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 21 22:46:09 UTC 2013

I myself am totally blind and resist being labeled visually impaired.
I do however wish to point out that the term visually impaired has a
negative connotation that the person is visually unacceptable in some
way, as in ugly. This was pointed out to me by an Australian friend.
For that reason, I choose to use the term vision impaired instead. Of
course if the person is butt-ugly, then I guess the term visually
impaired might be acceptable. (just kidding) But I'll tell you what,
since I lost my eyesight, I haven't run into one ugly person. Everyone
I come across is beautiful to me, unless their behaviour or actions
make them ugly.

All the best,

Laz