[Blindtlk] Use of the Term Visually Impaired

Desiree Oudinot turtlepower17 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 22 02:38:07 UTC 2013

I agree. I do have a little bit of vision, shadow perception, so
technically, I can see how someone might use the term visually
impaired to describe me. I don't get bent out of shape either way. All
I care about is that it doesn't become a focal point. Just pick a
term, stick with it, and move on to more important matters. I'm
equally comfortable with both terms, blind and visually impaired.

On 6/21/13, Danielle Antoine <singingmywayin at gmail.com> wrote:
> I prefer blind because I am total. but, I don't get into bashing folks
> if they say visually impaired. I'd rather people not struggle with it
> cause they are showing they are really uncomfortable with me. I am
> very open about my disability  personally though and may be that
> surprises some.
>
> On 6/21/13, Mark Tardif <markspark at roadrunner.com> wrote:
>> Yes, I seem to recall George's comments about those terms, and he used
>> rather colorful language, too, but I thought "Right on, George."
>>
>> Mark Tardif
>> Nuclear arms will not hold you.

>>> blind. He told me that he could get fired if he called me blind and
>>> someone
>>> from HR heard it. He had to say visually impaired. I thought that was
>>> one