[Blindtlk] Use of the Term Visually Impaired

Tatiana N anisioti at otenet.gr
Mon Jun 24 17:14:37 UTC 2013

Hello everyone from a blind folk living in Athens of Greece!
I've been following with lod of personal interest this discussed subject, and I thought there are similarities of sort almost globally!!
What do I mean? We, greeks, for exaample, tend to avoid using the term blind that exists in our language, as it is considered tough, cruel, as opposed to People with Sight Loss, or People with Sight Conditions,, wich is - considerably - closer to human rights respect.
As far as I know, the same goes for Italy, where they use the terms "Bon vedenti ed ipovedenti", that is to say "non-sighted and hypo-sighted". And o on for France (but I can't spell the words), and maybe for other countries.
I agree with what just Robin stated, which is more accurate and descriptive, it also distinguishes the two categories.

Warm greetings!

Από το iPhone μου

24 Ιουν 2013, 7:03 μ.μ., ο/η Robin <robin-melvin at comcast.net> έγραψε: