[Blindtlk] Use of the Term Visually Impaired

Steven Johnson blinddog3 at charter.net
Mon Jun 24 22:41:45 UTC 2013

Although that would be ideal, the general public, who we are essentially
referring to throughout this thread,  really has no idea of the extent of
our individual vision loss. Therefore, a generic label, such as what has
been discussed here, puts those with all vision conditions into a
generalized term which for the most part has been described as persons with
visual impairments or vision loss.  Generally, when we as persons who are a
part of the greater culture of persons who have some level of vision loss,
often cease the opportunity when asked *key term* of how we lost our sight,
or what extent our vision loss is.  Personally, I believe that too many get
wrapped up in the terms as stated so eloquently by Kelby, and to change how
the term is used would be a literally impossible undertaking, but by doing
what we do on a daily basis, ceasing that opportunity to educate, starts to
tackle that idea of societal change one person at a time.

Just my personal thoughts.

Steve