[Blindtlk] Comparing pros and cons of screen readers?

Peter Wolfe yogabare13 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 4 06:01:22 UTC 2013

Dear all,

    I have a decision in the present and long term on what screen
reader to be comfortable using personally and professionally in my
future career with the federal government. Could you give me your take
and comparison of all the available options for blind federal employes
with the U.S federal government? Its my knowledge that the consensus
is that JAWS is used for script writing and in general with many
departments in the federal government. I also would like any
additional resources that you would recommend to learn Jaws with
Microsoft Applications and what all softwares that it can be used with
and all.

    My problem with screen reader technologies is the limit of such
technologies in he work place. The tutorials will talk about what it
can do but not usually of what it can't do. I'd like a hollistic
tutorial that will explain the whole picture and where screen readers
play their part not specialized testing and all. This stops me from
pursuing certain fields like human resources cause of not knowing what
softwares that they use and all. I guess that I could ask them just
feel nervious like its somehow unprofessional or looked as a pity for
the blind thing which I don't want at all. Don't get me wrong that
being independent is great not so with these insecure times. I'm a
very insecure person and always will be so thanks for your opinions on
going forward on the first part and second part of this enquiry
thread.

Thanks,
Peter

--
Cordially,
Peter Q Wolfe, BA
e-mail: yogabare13 at gmail.com
"If you don't stand up for something your willing to fall for anything"
Peter Q Wolfe
"Stand up for your rights"
Bob Marley