[Blindtlk] labelling stoves and ovens

Judy jones jtj1 at cableone.net
Tue Mar 5 04:11:49 UTC 2013

Wow, there are probably as many systems one can invent as there are ovens.

When I was growing up, my mom put a couple of pieces of scotch tape around
the temp dial.  One for the 350 degrees, and one for the 400.  In my later
teens I became one of the main cooks in our household, and that system
worked well.  You could judge, for instance, how far to turn the dial to
cook at either 325, 375, or 400, or 425.

Then, there is the stove that was in the house where our daughters grew up.
My husband bought it for me, a wonderful ceramic top.  On that one, when you
turned the dial, a pointer under a glass pannel would move.  I had to help
the installation person understand that the tape mark needed to be where the
pointer would be when the oven was on at 350.  Also, another temperature on
ovens like that is the arrow up and down.

Our current oven now has this process, you press the button for "bake," then
"start," and the oven starts at 350 by default.  Each time you press the
temperature arrow, it goes up 5 degrees, and conversely when pressing the
down arrow.

So I rambled on, just to say that every oven is different, and it will
depend on how your oven works.

When we stay in a motel, I always bring a roll of scotch tape along to put a
piece on the minute-plus button.  Most microwaves now have that feature, and
is a good short-term fix for using a microwave.  I've done the same thing
with our office microwave.

In my lifetime, I've cooked on 15 regular ovens, as we've moved a lot over
the years, but they've all had their commonalities and eccentricities, and
you learn to adapt with what works for you.