[Blindtlk] Canes and Dogs, the In-House Checkup

Brian Miller brianrmiller88 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 21 11:58:45 UTC 2013

Hi all,

I certainly respect anyone's choice of guide dog schools, but I would not
equate this issue to that of sheltered workshops.

I don't know about all of the schools, and I very much appreciate that many
schools have been bastions of negative attitudes about blindness.

My understanding is, however, that at least in the case of Guide Dogs for
the Blind in San Rafael, California, you have the option to take full
ownership of your dog after one year.  I know some will see this as still
too paternalistic, and I respect that, but I think it's also important to
recognize that this isn't just about the blind person, but about the dogs.
Schools like Guide Dogs invest tens of thousands of dollars in raising ,
training, and supporting the dogs and their handlers.  They have a interest
in ensuring that this investment is maximized, and also to ensure that the
dogs are well cared for.

Blind people get the dogs and the training for free -- if we are so
insistent on full and outright ownership of the dogs, should we also not
accept the full cost of the dog's training?  I suspect this is far beyond
the ability of most blind people to manage.

Guide Dogs also provides a lot of follow-up care, including the paying of
most vet bills, which runs hundreds of dollars every year.

The follow-up visits are more than just check-ins, but training
opportunities.  I think it's a matter of perspective as to how intrusive or
even oppressive these visits are.

I think it would be interesting to know how many dogs are taken away from
their handlers.  I suspect that the number is very small, but still it's
worth knowing to get a sense of the scope of the issue.

I think it's one thing to talk of ownership, but another thing to take on
the full cost of doing so, or the full cost of running such an operation
ourselves.  I certainly would want as many blind people in charge of guide
dog schools as possible, assuming they have the management skills to do so,
and I recognize that far too many schools see their work as charity not
empowerment of blind people, but this is not the case of all schools, and
Seeing Eye isn't the only school trying to balance the needs of the blind
person and the dog and the community.

I'm not a dog user, but I still felt compelled to offer some thoughts for
what they are worth -- thanks!.

Respectfully,

Brian Miller