[Blindtlk] Training with screen readers conundrum

Peter Wolfe yogabare13 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 21 13:18:36 UTC 2013

Dear NFB Talk Members,

    Would I be better off to better familarize myself with my existing
screen reader Window-Eyes or learn what is necessary for entry level
for federal liberal arts career track e.g. Jaws instead? I'm always
puzzling on tutorials of my former screen reader cause they are
partial or completely devoid of adaquate detail examples to
professions with endorsements or whatever for proper context. I know
that Internal Revenue Service or Social Security like the Department
of Defense use the CAP office that usually recommends Jaws screen
reader so logic says to go with it instead of existing technology.
Maybe I should just focus purely on Jaws from scratch on their
tutorials at a state rehabilitation center or individually, then focus
on existing screen reader Window-Eyes or what would you recommend in
this situation?

    I know this sounds like I'm over thinking the situation just that
I've been dealing with this for years on this problem. I swerar one of
the things that I hate being blind is that too much emphasis is on
what assistive technology can do not what can't do. I'd prefer a
comprehensive report or tutorial on all the things sighted individuals
can do and what we can't being blind. Simple as a former sighted
person that I'd appreciate this view much more than this muddy waters
approach that just confuses the daylights out of everything for me. I
also tire of the Federations dream-like imagination that blind folks
can do everything cause simply this isn't true like in programming
that isn't true anymore than they cannot do anything.

    Thanks for any and all advice on this subject cause I'm thoroughly
confused on what to do. I tire so much just want to quit cause of
being discouraged on the list in some ways. Your approaches of
encouragement aren't what I'm accustomed to on my fragile self-esteem
cause that is something blind people like me are in low supply of at
the moment. I'm schedule for a three month job in a few months in town
for temporary work experience so just want a job. I just don't know
how best to go about it that is it. Since how I wasn't born blind that
my patience is much more thinner in this technical jargon or way of
thinking than you are accustomed to being blind your whole life or
whatever. Thank you for understanding how I feel and coming from my
prospective on this subject.

Thank you,
Peter Q wolfe, BA

--
Cordially,
Peter Q Wolfe, BA
e-mail: yogabare13 at gmail.com
"If you don't stand up for something your willing to fall for anything"
Peter Q Wolfe
"Stand up for your rights"
Bob Marley