[Blindtlk] visually impaired married to a sighted

Kendra Schaber Baltimore777 at comcast.net
Fri Mar 22 06:38:26 UTC 2013

I don't have a spouce but I can still answer your question because I have a
boyfriend who is sited but has three quorters of his left hand missing
because of an accedent with a firework. Fortunently for me, I don't have a
lot of problems with getting him to understand it. Sure, no sited person
will compleetly understand what it's like being blind simply because they
have not experienced themselves. Fortunently for me, my boyfriend is very
supportive! He wants me to be as independent as possable. In fact, he wants
the best for me! Unfortunently, we don't currently live together. When we do
get together, he drives me to any place that we want to visit. Since the
public bus doesn't run on the weekends, he often drives me and sometimes my
friends to different places. Before we met, I rerly left my apartment on the
weekends. Now days, I go out more on the weekends because of him and his
car. He knows that public transportation is very important to me. Once, one
of my blind friends helped out another friend go to her apartment in route
to where my other friends and I were gathering at the time. She wasn't
confortable with taking the bus home. The one who chose to help her chose to
take the bus instead of my boyfriend's car just to help out that friend. My
boyfriend didn't mind my friend doing that even though he didn't mind giving
her a ride. My boyfriend has a demonstration of JAWS on his computer so that
if I need to use it while I'm at his place, I don't have to use his eyeballs
to use it. Heck, he has never minded letting me go onto dancefloors in night
clubs whether or not he was dancing with me. My boyfriend also has a blind
neighbor. He knew a few other blind ladies several years ago but wound up
losing contact with them. My boyfriend has always believed that blind people
can live life just like sited people. His biggest learning curve that I've
had with him is actually the best ways to tell blind people directions. He
had to learn that blind people don't know where over there is for example.
When we are walking together, I often hold his hand while using my cane in
the other. He has never had a problem with that. In fact, he has often said
that he'll be my eyes and I'll be his left hand. Whenever I told him that
I'd appriciate it if he for example, told me that we were close to another
car in the parking lot, he respected my wishes. In fact, he still respects
my wishes. He knows not to move my stuff without letting me know where it
was moved to. If he doesn't tell me it's new location, he shows me where
it's located. Even before my boyfriend ever lost his left hand, he has
always respected people with disabilities. In my book, if the person that
you love cares for you, they will go out of their way to respect your
wishes. The trick is to tell them by using examples of what it's like if
they, meaning the sited person had it happen to them. For example, I said
that using over there when giving directions is like telling me to visit the
Wallimette River without telling me which dock to meet him. I think that in
your case, telling your spouce not to move your mail will be like you moving
their most important timesheets that they might use for work without telling
them where it is and hiding it in the closet that was full of junk that did
not allow them to easily find it in time to hand it in on time, let alone
fill it out before handing it into their boss. Let's do a senario where you
were sited and he was blind. Ask your husband, how would he feel if you were
the one who left piles of stuff around the house for him to trip over? Also
ask him how would he feel if he paid the bills with the mail but he was
always late because you made it impossable for him to find the bill to pay
in the first place? As for transportation, telling your spouce that you
can't get anywhere by yourself without either a car with a driver or public
transportation is just like he would be if he didn't have a car of his own.
Here is another senario where you are sited and he was blind. Ask your
husband, if he was blind and you were sited, wouldn't he want to ride with
you from time to time? How would he feel if he was blind and you were sited
and you were not willing to transport your husband in less it was you or no
transportation at all? Wouldn't he want to be able to travel with you from
time to time and with friends and family at other times? You will want to
use the examples that I've layed out because it will hopefully help improve
your relationship. I hope this was helpful!!!
Kendra