[Blindtlk] NFB airport assistance was Guide Dog School, A Possible Scenario

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Fri Mar 22 14:37:59 UTC 2013

Kelby,

I am a firm believer that not all help is created equal.  I'll share my
airport assistance story, which is the reason that I no longer ask for
employee escorts at airports.

In 2006 I was on my way to the NFB national convention in Texas.  I was
accompanied by my then guide dog, Belle and my 9 year old son.  I had to
transfer planes in Denver and thought it would be prudent to take my
guide dog out to relieve during my two hour layover.  I asked for
assistance to get to the relief area and then to my connecting flight.
It's a good thing I had two hours because it ended up taking that entire
time.

I had requested assistance on my initiating flight and was assured that
I'd have someone to meet me at my gate and get me where I needed to go.
It didn't happen.  when I requested assistance again, a non English
speaking man did eventually come.   I explained what I needed and we set
off.  We wandered around for over an hour with repeated requests and
questions for information by me that went unanswered.  I think we toured
every nook and cranny of that airport, the parking garages and grounds.
Eventually I fell back and lost the escort in the crowd.  I got the
directions to an exterior door, got my dog out and she took care of
business within 5 minutes of loosing the escort.

He did find me and was very angry at me for ditching him.  I tried to
explain that I could manage from here and that he could go on about his
regular duties, but he would not leave me alone.  Then he insisted that
I go to a particular gate, which wasn't the right one.  I am very glad I
had asked a previous employee about my boarding pass information.  By
this time I had had it.  So we got into a shouting match about where I
was and wasn't  going.

It was one of the top three worst blindness experiences of my life.  He
refused to listen to me, refused to respect my wishes, didn't know where
he was going and would not take no for an answer.  It was a valuable
learning experience for me.

Now when I go to airports I am sure to have the details of my flights in
advance.  I ask very specific directions to passers by or employees
behind desks.  Generally they are not able to leave the desk so they
won't follow you.  I get directions for the next bit and then ask
directions again when I get a bit closer.  I keep repeating this until I
get where I'm going.  It has worked very well for me and I am able to
get where I need to go within a reasonable amount of time.  It's also a
much less stressful experience.

I understand that this is not the preferred travel method for all blind
people.  that's fine.  If your doing what you need to do in a reasonable
amount of time without undue inconvenience to yourself or others, then
it's working.  I am a bit mystified by your statement that Mark Maur's
refusal of assistance was reckless.  that doesn't make sense to me.  If
it was working for him, how was it reckless?

Julie