[Blindtlk] Adjustment to Blindness Training, NFB Centers or Not?

Gary Wunder gwunder at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 23 20:18:57 UTC 2013

Hi, Desiree. I hope nothing in my message conveys that I feel those who are
not involved do not have a purpose. This is certainly not my position. My
position is that, in order to act on a purpose, to effect real change, one
must take a position and then work to implement it. People who think taxes
are too high and only talk with their neighbor have no influence. Their
complaining may make them feel better, but they have focused no energy on a
resolution. The same is true for those who believe we need more or less
environmental activism.

We have big-time issues around access that will control everything from our
getting an education to taking a job. The job will determine whether we make
a living or are given a living, and whether society can then decide what
constitutes enough for us--enough monthly income, enough medical care,
enough security in retirement. I make the case that these are important
enough that I choose to be involved and to give some of my time to working
to see we have real opportunity--not just working on opportunity for me,
which is my responsibility, but opportunity for others. If enough people
join to see that computer programs become accessible, that handheld devices
speak as well as displaying their content visually, our school children have
a chance. If not, we are allowing them to be treated as second-class
citizens and perhaps condemning them to a second-class existence. I want to
do something about this, and I'm willing to politely ask others to join me
in carrying the load.

Warmly,

Gary