[Blindtlk] NFB Guide Dog School

Marion Gwizdala blind411 at verizon.net
Sat Mar 23 22:05:16 UTC 2013

Kelby,
    I will admit that there are times when it may be better for a consumer
to go home with a dog on a trial basis before transfering ownership. This,
however, should be the exception, rather than the rule. When the "rule" is
that ownership is not transferred to anyone until after a specific
probationary period, I believe it is paternalistic. what justification is
there for such a blanket policy other than "blind people need to prove they
are capable of properly caring for their dog and we are going to monitor
their ability for x months"? If a blind person has satisfactorily completed
training, they should be given ownership of the dog upon such satisfactory
completion.
    By the way, you asked the question of which programs are closest to the
NFB's philosophical perspective. I think there are several that are close
and many that are very far away. Though one way is to inspect their
ownership policies, not all that transfer ownership upon completion of
training do well in other consumer areas. Those who transfer ownership upon
completion of training include Guide Dogs of America, Guide Dogs of the
Desert, Guide dog Foundation, Southeastern Guide Dogs, and The Seeing Eye.
Though Fidelco says they transfer ownership after six months, the truth is
that they retain the right to remove a dog at any time and for any reason.
They may call it ownership, but that doesn't sound like any type of
ownership rights I have ever heard of!
    Nearly every program states that a guide dog gives a blind person
dignity. Dignity is not something that is given to another; it is an innate
quality. It is no less dignified to use a white cane than to use a guide
dog. Though not perfect, The Seeing Eye and Guide Dog Foundation have the
best policies for handling complaints against consumers by not accepting
anonymous complaints and referring complaintants to the local animal
services agency.
    So, there are many factors to consider and, I believe, one day a
majority of the training programs will be congruent with our Bill of Rights.
Until then, we will continue advocating for the rights of consumers and
urging training programs to treat blind adults like, well, adults!

Fraternally yours,
Marion Gwizdala