[Blindtlk] Training with screen readers conundrum

Peter Wolfe yogabare13 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 23 23:30:01 UTC 2013

Gary,

    I'd agree tht your idea of the traditional NFB purpose is perhaps
on track of the 20th century not of the 21st century as much.
Everything that NFB should stand for is the comprehensive advancement
of preventing, rehabilitating and promoting the well being of all
would be or current blind people in the u.S and abroad. I'd add that
our sacred duty as blind folks should be to foster policies in all
three sectors of the economy whether private, public or nonprofit to
bring about meaningful change in access to equitable education,
information, public transportation, preventive and maintenance
medicine and for human rights of blind individuals not for just one
goal in mind. Perhaps the way that I look at NFB is like a parent to
the rest of us that is something that they are sorely lacking true
leadership at their helm in that regard in my opinion.

    Secondly, let us remember that Mr Jermigan and other NFB former
leaders were of an older generation without the resources that we
possess today. let us not croach into the past without adopting stem
cellk, nano technology, bionic eye or etc that is down the pike. Its
my opinion that the NFB or other blind advocacy groups should
encourage this by legislation to prevent blindness or to cure it
outright. Wouldn't it be better to promote eye exams in conjunction
with Lion's World to stop blindness from occuring in the first place?
I believe as volunteers that we can rise to the 21st crentury in
working in teams not on just one simple mission of blindness. Rising
to the occasion should be the responsibility of all blind not just NFB
members. So, I hope that we can all work in tandum with one another in
coming years to come together around these basic ideas than we have
been.

thanks,
Peter