[Blindtlk] Professions on list?

Bonnie Ainsworth bainsworth65 at windstream.net
Wed Mar 27 13:25:59 UTC 2013

Hi all,

I did a variety of things when I grew up, and most of it was clerical.  One
of the exceptions was when I worked as a temporary for the State of Wyoming
as a sort of "camp counselor" of sorts.  We were also referred to as interns
because we assisted the camp staff where we were needed, kind of like
gophers.

I also worked at a local newspaper where I assisted the staff with the
layout of the paper and did some occasional typesetting.  I did some filing
when I worked at the Bureau of Indian Affairs as a seasonal employee, and
have worked at other private businesses during my high school and college
years.

My first and last permanent job was where I was employed the longest where I
worked as a Resource Clerk, then was later promoted to a Resource Assistant
at the US Forest Service.  I did things from filing, and eventually became
responsible for the management of many database systems in my department.
One of the things I enjoyed the most was entering law enforcement citations
into the system because the law enforcement officers would often write some
of the humorous, snarky comments the offenders would make on the citations.

The main reason I'm not seeking full time employment at this time is because
my remaining vision is deteriorating slowly, and I want to know that I can
do the job effectively knowing that my vision will be stable, or that I
won't have any at all.  I'm prepared for the latter as I have Braille
skills, can use a computer, and most importantly, travel independently
thanks to the skills I've obtained at the Nebraska Center.  Sure, I can use
a CCTV at this point to read, but at the same time I am also realistic
enough to know that using my eyes as much as possible can be more of a
hindrance than a help.

Bonnie