[Blindtlk] cooking was Hobbies?

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Sat Mar 30 15:29:16 UTC 2013

I don't have a talking meat thermometer. I test for doneness by texture and
smell.  I do buy the holiday turkeys with the pop up timer thingy, but those
you can feel when they've popped.

I would like to find a talking candy thermometer.  I use the cold water
method...spooning a small bit of the candy into ice cold water so it sets up
quickly.  However the candy still on the heat is still cooking while I'm
testing.  Whatever is in the ice bath is about a step or half step behind
the stage in the pot.  I think a thermometer would be more accurate.

Also does anyone can?  I've been reading up on it.  there seem to be a
couple of different methods, pressure canning and hot water bath.  I haven't
figured it all out yet.  I think I might ask my mother in law for help
because she cans.  Anyway will I need a thermometer to can safely?  If I do
need one does anyone have any suggestions on a specific product?

Julie