[Blindtlk] Buddhist meditation retreats

Jewel herekittykat2 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 1 23:10:36 UTC 2013

Dear all,
As a practicing Buddhist, I do meditation daily and try to incorporate mindfulness into my life. I do not have a center to attend. There is one in Raleigh, but neither bus or paratransit will go there and I have tried and failed to get someone to volunteer to drive me there each week. I really think the best option for me to learn from a teacher is to attend a retreat. There is one in Asheville that sounds nice. Has anyone gone on one of these retreats? If so, I would like to know about accessibility. How receptive were they to having a blind participant? If you have a guide dog, how did they feel about you bringing him or her? How did you communicate with teachers during the days of silence? The one I am considering says they communicate through a message board on days of silence? Did the retreat staff provide these messages in Braille?
Any stories of experience would be appreciated. I really think a meditation retreat would help my mental health a lot.
-Jewel

reply://herekittykat2@gmail.com

Sent from my iPhone