[Blindtlk] Blindness and Singleness

Bernadetta bernadetta_pracon at samobile.net
Sun Sep 8 05:32:27 UTC 2013

Hi Jason and others,
I agree with most of what's been said here, but I'd like to add a few
tidbits. Being someone who's in a happy and fruitful relationship
myself, I might have something useful to contribute.
First, I've noticed suggestions from others to try dating blind women.
I agree. But the way they've been pronounced here, I get the impression
that we're suggesting that blind women have more flexible outlooks, or
that they're more readily willing to date someone with a disability.
I'd hope that's true, but I've personally witnessed at least three
instances where a person with a disability, blindness in particular,
was almost as hesitant or against the thought of dating someone blind
as some sighted people, if not more. It might be rare, but those people
are out there.
So here's my point: Don't limit yourself to either group. Sighted
blind, deaf, in a wheelchair, green or blue or yellow, the person you
want to be with is the one who accepts you most. Who is most
comfortable with you, not just your disability. Some blind people are
just as prejudiced, and there are plenty of sighted people who aren't.
So open your mind to all possibilities. The only factor that matters is
that you jell well, that you're independent individuals and you have
the potential to make each other Happy.
Regarding disclosing your blindness on dating sites, I'd say definitely
do so. But don't make it into a neon sign. Stick it into the
background--into the rest of your characteristics. Say something about
it, but don't be so drab as "i'm blind." The bigger deal you make out
of your disability, the more people will recognize it and make it a big
deal as well. If you have a bit of creativity or a sense of humor, try
to use it to your advantage in this case. Work your blindness subtly
into conversations, once in a great while though, so that it's not
sticking out from the rest of who you are like a sore thumb.
Remember, the key is to not be dishonest, but to paint your disability
as just another aspect of yourself. If you don't' make it a big deal,
if you yourself can overshadow it with your endeavors, your
personality, your interests, then someone else is likely to do the
same. They wont' be able to help it. They'll be compelled.
look at ray charles for instance. He was bigger than his blindness. I
admit, he might be a poor example here, but he's the first person that
pops into mind at this late hour. I'm not condoning taking up heroine
and aspiring to be a famous musician, not at all. But my point is, he
was a mesmerizing enough person that people forgot about his blindness,
or else they let it be, just because they were compelled to see him as
a whole person. I can think of plenty of other successful blind people,
none by name specifically, who just left their disability in the
background and got on with their life. And in those instances, people
sighted or not, were forced to see them for who they were, not what
their disability made them.

With that, I wish you the best of luck. May the right girl find you or
vice versa.

Bernadetta