[Blindtlk] Balance

Alyssa alyssahenson95 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 03:44:45 UTC 2014

Hi listers,
I know it's been awhile since I posted, but I have sort of a question/issue. Here in Illinois, the weather has been acting quite irregular. My body isn't handling these switches well, my sinuses in particular. This is causing a mild to moderate and sometimes severe loss of balance due to headaches and fluid behind my ears. Unfortunately, as we all know, a standard white cane just isn't meant to support body weight. As I am a college student I can't let this slow me down. I currently have a good strong friend working as a counterbalance for me on extremely difficult days but I strongly believe in independence. The tasks I deal with daily are crossing streets as well as dealing with uneven grounds and stairs on my campus. Also as a college student I don't want people getting the wrong idea when my friend is holding me up. Lol. So that brings me to the question. Have any of you dealt with this type of situation? If so, what did you find to manage it best? All suggestions are appreciated.
Alyssa

Sent from my iPhone