[Blindtlk] The Matilda Zeigler Magazine For The Blind

Mark J. Cadigan kramc11 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 16 14:54:40 UTC 2014

I am not a technology expert, but from what I know, there are several ways
that an email sender can determine if an email is read. Firstly, the read
receipt. This is mostly used in personal correspondence, and the recipient
can decide to acknowledge receipt or not. The 2nd way is with a tracking
image. When you open the email, your computer tries to go download the image
from the sender's server. If you are like me, you have your email set to
never download images. The 3rd way is with cookies. If you are like me, you
set your email client to disable all cookies, and only download emails in
plain text. By default all the tracking options I know about are blocked.
Perhaps someone with more technical knowhow can chime in with other tracking
options and the corresponding countermeasures.

Perhaps the readers of this publication are like me, and don't like being
tracked, and try to minimize it if and when possible.