[Blindtlk] Walking Straight Without a Shoreline

Lloyd Rasmussen lras at sprynet.com
Sun Apr 27 00:50:35 UTC 2014

There are a number of things you are not describing well enough for us to
give you good advice.  Is the distance across the parking lot a hundred
yards or 50 feet.  If 50 feet and the parking lot has a cement surface, you
could tap your cane and get an echo from the grocery store building.  How
full or empty is the parking lot when you are crossing it?  In which
direction are the rows of cars (and the little curbs that mark the center
lines between two rows of cars (parallel to or perpendicular to the path you
need?)  Does a street run parallel to the direction you need to travel, on
your left or right, and does it have enough traffic for you to judge what
direction it is running?  Are there sounds from your side of the grocery
store (delivery trucks, shopping carts, outdoor P A system announcements,
etc.)?  Can the slope of the ground or the direction of the sun give you any
clues?  None of us is likely to walk within the lines in a large, open
parking lot.  Instead, the objective is to find the grocery store, going
from one landmark to the next to the next.  Sometimes, when covering longer
distances in open spaces, you will get a better understanding of the
environment if you walk fast rather than slow.  Travel is not necessarily
easy, but it can be empowering when you can go out and do things on your
own.  I have been using a long cane for 53 years and using my ears for
outdoor travel for about 65.  Go for it!

Lloyd Rasmussen, Kensington, MD
http://lras.home.sprynet.com