[Blindtlk] Windows 8 Aggravations

Judy Jones jtj1 at cableone.net
Wed Apr 30 02:54:02 UTC 2014

Hello, Ariel.

I totally feel your pain.  The first time I experienced Windows 8 was when
I got a laptop during Best Buy's Black Friday after Thanksgiving last year.
My daughter and I thought we'd try to get laptops for $187, and we did, but
both of us got so frustrated, we turned our laptops back in within a week.

I eventually had to go to Windows 8, but tweaked it so I'm getting the least
amount of interference, and it behaves more like Windows 7.  There are
things about it I don't like, but when you're forced to upgrade, you just
have to deal with it.

I'm wondering if various toolbars are getting in the way, so make sure only
the toolbars are checked that you want to have running for you.

I also got rid of all the stuff on my start screen, except for what I wanted
to sho, which are the weather and Skype.

I did not want items on my taskbar so unpinned them.

I turned off the tiles, one by one, I did not want those either.

I put the control panel on my desktop.

I know these fixes are not addressing directly your issues, but maybe
getting rid of some of the clutter may help.

At first I had difficulty with Internet explorer as well, but anything that
came up, I googled for an answer.

You also might want to check your desktop background.  If it is too "busy"
Jaws may not read as accurately as it could.

Also check with Freedom Scientific's tech support on help to tweak Jaws to
do a better job with your system.

Hope this helps somewhat.