[Blindtlk] Windows 8 Aggravations

Lloyd Rasmussen lras at sprynet.com
Wed Apr 30 03:37:51 UTC 2014

Hi.  I don't use Windows 8 yet, only 7.  There are different versions of
Internet Explorer for the tile and desktop interfaces.  You probably want to
concentrate on desktop programs at first.  In Windows 7 and 8 you don't
necessarily need to add programs to the desktop, as you did in Windows 95
through XP.  You can start programs by typing a few letters of their name
and letting autocomplete kick in.  If, in the desktop interface, you have
programs that have been pinned to the taskbar, there are several things to
note about them.
1.  Unlike XP and earlier, a program that is on the taskbar may or may not
be running; it really doesn't matter.  If it isn't running, it will start.
If it is, you will switch to it.
2.  Programs that are on the task bar can be started from what is called a
"jump list".  If you have selected a program on the taskbar and hit the
Applications key or context menu key or shift-f10, you will get a list of
recently accessed files or web pages related to that program.  You can start
the program from the web page or file you selected in the context menu.
3.  If you don't use the jump list feature, you can also start a program
from the task bar by pressing the Windows key along with the program's
number from left to right along the taskbar.  For example, on my laptop,
Windows Live Mail is the fourth item from the left along the taskbar, so I
can start it with Windows-4.
In Windows 7 you get to the taskbar by pressing Windows-T.  But the shortcut
keys I described in the previous paragraph work anywhere in the system.
I hope some of this helps.

Lloyd Rasmussen, Kensington, MD
http://lras.home.sprynet.com