[Blindtlk] Walking Straight Without a Shoreline

Gary Wunder gwunder at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 30 13:58:41 UTC 2014

Wow, good advice.

-----Original Message-----
From: blindtlk [mailto:blindtlk-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Anita
Adkins
Sent: Sunday, April 27, 2014 3:12 PM
To: Blind Talk Mailing List
Subject: Re: [Blindtlk] Walking Straight Without a Shoreline

Hi,

First, my name is Anita, and I am fairly new to the list.

I have taught some cane travel. Some of what I am going to say has already
been said. The sun and wind can be clues. For example, if the sun is to your
left when you start, it should stay on your left until you get there if you
are intending to walk straight. If the breeze is in your face, it should
stay there if you are walking straight. Of course, the same thing works with
slopes and the like. Any stationary sound clue should also remain in its
current direction, for example, sound traffic should stay on your right if
you started with it there. Traffic is a great assistant when traveling
straight because you can use the traffic direction as a clue, but of course,
other helpful sounds are useful too. Also practice is wonderful. Also,
learning to trust yourself is key. I can remember when I first decided to
see where I would end up if I decided to keep walking, even though my every
instinct told me to veer this way or that, hoping all the while I would end
up straight across from where I had started. And, guess what? I stayed
straight. Sometimes, we feel we are veering and we decide to correct
ourselves, when it isn't necessary. So practice this skill in a very
familiar area where you know it is okay to veer anyhow, and then try it on
this parking lot. You will find that in this case, it is still probably okay
to do some veering, but resisting the urge to go with your instincts and
correct your steps will probably keep you from veering in the first place.
Also, remember that the goal isn't getting from landmark to landmark, but
getting to the building. Buildings are pretty big, and so even if you land
somewhere farther to the left than you intended, you are still highly likely
to locate the building at which point you can walk along the building to the
door. Finally, it is important to pick your feet up, walk with good posture
and look in the direction you intend to end up, even if you can't see.
Learning to form a mental map during travel will also help you keep on a
straighter path. Remember it is ok to make mistakes. That's how we learn,
and once you aren't afraid to make a mistake, you will make fewer mistakes
anyhow. Know that you may only need to use one of these techniques to get to
your destination, or you may use a combination of them. Good luck!

Hope this helps. Anita