[Blindtlk] Going to Cedar Point on August 23

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Sun Aug 10 17:41:06 UTC 2014

I largely agree with Kendra. However, each amusement park has its own
challenges, common usage and advantages.

For example, I can assure Kendra and everyone else that navigating
Disneyland is surprisingly easy, even if one does not take advantage of the
audio aids provided for blind and visually impaired patrons (back in 1985
and again in 1996, I went to Disneyland, the first time alone and, back
then, one was handed a cassette player with the layout of the park and
interesting facts about the rides; it's probably something digital now).

Also, with respect to canes, for the most part, I handed the cane to a ride
operator. However, on the Matterhorn, the operators *insisted* that I keep
the cane with me, strapped into the seat along with me. Presumably, this was
to assist me if the coaster got stuck.

I couldn't believe how courteous Disneyland personnel were. The only thing I
wished I'd had was a 36oz beer while waiting for "Small world" for the
umpteenth time with my daughter!

Mike Freeman