[Blindtlk] Overhangs, Tips, and Types

Szostak, Christine szostak.1 at buckeyemail.osu.edu
Fri Dec 12 04:51:46 UTC 2014

HI All,
  I have been doing some basic beginning practice with a cane to help make my decision about what best course of action to take (e.g., do I need to get O/M, do I want to use a cane officially, do I want another dog...), and just have a few completely unrelated questions regarding cane use.

1)    For overhangs with dogs, the dog is typically trained to stop and let you know the overhanging object is coming. With a cane, obviously, the cane will not directly inform you of the overhang. Thus, how do you look out for and successfully avoid overhanging objects with a cane (e.g., branches, bars that are at head or mid-body level...)?

2)  What do individuals here think about the rolling cane tips (i.e., the tip that is like a ball)? I hate that the tip of the cane keeps getting caught in just about every crack in a sidewalk:).

3)  This sort of links back to 1 above, has anyone used a sonic cane? If so, what do you think about it?
Have a wonderful and safe Christmas holiday everyone!
Chris