[Blindtlk] Overhangs, Tips, and Types

Lloyd Rasmussen lras at sprynet.com
Fri Dec 12 12:29:42 UTC 2014

Expect to run into some overhangs.  Your ears can warn you about some of
them, but not all.  I have not used a roller-ball tip, but tap my cane more
than sliding it (except along subway platforms).  I really think that the
canes and tips that the NFB gives away are some of the best out there,
having traveled with a cane for over 50 years now.  But they take getting
used to, especially if you got your training with a short (chest-high) or
collapsible or aluminum cane.  You may not end up walking as fast as you
would have with a dog, but it will be fast enough.  Get Tom Bickford's book,
"The Care and Feeding of the Long White Cane", which is available on the NFB
website in text, and on BARD in audio or braille.  The book is 20 years old
now, but very little has changed.  And the author is in my chapter and used
to work with me at NLS.

Lloyd Rasmussen, Kensington, MD
http://lras.home.sprynet.com