[Blindtlk] Visually Impaired/ Living in the middle?

Ericka Short ericka.short at wi.rr.com
Sun Feb 9 08:29:40 UTC 2014

I love the  advice you've all given mari.  I chose to learn some things
because of these reasons.

1. I might lose all my sight and why not be prepared beforehand. Think of
the boy scout motto "Be prepared!"
2. Braille takes the burden off your back problems--sniffing paper isn't
comfortable on the back when you're very nearsighted and it doesn't do any
good for posture.
3. I never had the option to ride a bus until I went to a training center; I
was terrified!
4. I had little o and m training in public school and over the years my
ability to use things like a monocular to find signs, etc has dwindled.
It's just not worth it when you can't even find the stupid street or bus
sign.

I'd love to say I learned mobility, tech, and braille skills to the point
where it's second nature.  Unlike Christopher I didn't have a good
experience at BLIND.  That was several directors ago and I'm sure it's
changed.  I'm sure they are more attentive to where a person is in the
philosophy and are willing to focus on what a person needs rather than
assume they are a blank slate.  I didn't like the group class.  My concerns
and feelings didn’t' matter.  I liked most of the teachers but I had several
during the 6 months I was there. Teachers changed all the time and that
didn't always mean I had a good teacher. It's hard to build up rapport with
another person right away and some teachers were more focused on the
philosophy  or sharing their life story rather than teaching. I did learn a
lot from other students and the experience reinforced what my parents had
taught me all along.  I wish I could have spent the who 9 months there.  I
would probably not live in a big city or be so active in my community
without that experience.  Braille, speech technology, and mobility are
essential to learn for any VIP.  I also think family, at least a husband
should learn braille too.  You can leave secret love notes the kids can't
read!  Make a list of what's still easy and then one of things that are now
a challenge.  This will help you identify where your needs are greatest and
help you decide what kind of training center or program you would benefit
from.  Ask your hubby and kids for insight as they might see something but
are not sure how to say it.

If you don't remember anything else--YOU ARE NOT ALONE!

Ericka J. Short
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me". Philippians 4:13
"No hand is too small or too big to do good in this world." EJ. Short