[Blindtlk] Visually Impaired/ Living in the middle?

Judy Jones jtj1 at cableone.net
Sun Feb 9 14:58:17 UTC 2014

In my lifetime, I've only met 2 sighted people who put braille to practical use in their lives. One was a friend in college who was an art major. She'd been introduced to braille in grade school by someone visiting their classroom. As a college art major, whenever the lights were turned off in class for slideshow viewing, while everyone else vied for seats near the light on the end of the projector, she pulled out her slate and stylus and took braille notes. Her notebooks were interspersed with braille and print notes.

The second person had been a cryptographer with the navy, and was a chemistry teacher of mine in college. He figured out the braille code by comparing print and braille element tables.