[Blindtlk] NFB and canes and travel

Aleeha Dudley blindcowgirl1993 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 19 20:54:58 UTC 2014

Hello,
Welcome to the list! I, like you, was instructed with Ambutech folding
canes. I only received my first NFB cane a year before I got my guide
dog, but I definitely noticed a lot of differences in that time. I
have heard from someone that there is no "proper" way to hold a cane,
as long as it gives you the feedback you need. I got a folding NFB
cane and love it. It was very shortly followed by a telescopic cane
that could easily slide into the side of a backpack. I use constant
contact most of the time with NFB canes, although I have learned to
tap as well. Constant contact wears the metal tips out, but that
doesn't matter much because they are relatively inexpensive.
     Another huge difference between the canes is the height. The NFB
cane is meant to reach to just under your nose. I use a 59 inch cane
when I need one, and was instructed in the use of 48-52 inch Ambutech
canes.
     I hope all of this helps clear up some confusion.
Aleeha