[Blindtlk] NFB and canes and travel

Mark Tardif markspark at roadrunner.com
Mon Jan 20 00:33:34 UTC 2014

Hi, Pat,

I have a couple of NFB canes with metal tips, one of which telescops and one
which is just a straight cane.  They both are quite light and easy to
handle.  The metal tips are very easy to take off and put on, no tools
required.  But, they also stay on, I've never had a problem with one falling
off while I was using the cane.  I find these light-weight canes to be quite
easy to maneuver, either while using the touch and drag technique, or while
using the regular touch technique, where you do not drag it along the
ground.  Also, I point my index finger down, but since there is no flat side
to the grip, where you hold the grip is not as big an issue.  Also, I would
recommend a fairly tall cane, perhaps the height of your chin, so it will
pick up information at a farther distance and you can hold it more
comfortably than many of us were taught, where you tucked your elbow against
your gut.  Overall I prefer these canes to anything I was first given by my
school because they are lighter and seem to pick up a lot of information.

Mark Tardif
Nuclear arms will not hold you.