[Blindtlk] NFB and canes and travel

Lauren Merryfield lauren at catlines.com
Mon Jan 20 03:20:29 UTC 2014

Hi,
I think it depends on what an individual's travel needs are and what works
best for them, given various life circumstances.

I started out with a wooden cane with a crook, that had a wooden tip that
really gave me no help, and I was in Jr. High and didn't want to be seen
with a cane. So it took its place in the back of my closet.

Later, I was introduced to the RainShine cane with a metal NFB tip and I was
taught to use the tapping technique.  This was much better for me. I
traveled outdoors a lot back then and I found that a long, straight, rigid
cane was the safest and sturdiest for me. Now I am not out as much so a
telescoping or folding cane works fine for me and is more convenient when I
fly and when I am in public places, particularly restaurants.

More recently, I have been taught that I would fall less often if I used a
marshmallow tip, keeping contact with the ground or floor in front of me.
This is due to problematic ankles, not to blindness, that I changed my cane
technique. Now I am more likely to find irregular terrain that now can be
more difficult for me to find using the tapping technique.

I currently have a Kustom Cane that is a folding cane which has been
customized with catly motifs so it is more PURRsonally mine,and I feel more
comfortable with it than with a sterile, blah, boring white cane. So my cane
usage has changed over the years as I have changed.

I hope that something in that will be helpful to you when you make your
choice of cane(s).
Thanks
Lauren