[Blindtlk] Electronic Mobility Aids

Hyde, David W. (ESC) david.hyde at wcbvi.k12.wi.us
Wed Jan 22 20:47:49 UTC 2014

Hi Alyssa. I'm sorry to hear about your dog. I used one for ten years, and went back to a cane. Give yourself a chance. Dogs work differently from canes. You will learn to rely more on your hearing and judgment and spatial perception. It will take a bit of time, so take it. What you called obstacles with your dog will become landmarks for you and your cane. People are (sometimes) talking obstacles. These obstructions, being mobile, sometimes move out of, or (as often) into your way. Most of the time they respond favorably to an apology.

Don't let the whole situation stress you out, and take all of what we advise with some salt. I hope that you find some of our suggestions (who are not personally involved in the situation, and certainly do not feel it to the extent you do) helpful. And having said this, and looking at the beginning of my message, I should have said "I'm sorry about your hand," rather than the dog. Please excuse my beginning. Good luck, and whatever you do, please keep running into people. That means you're still moving.

David Hyde, Professional Development Coordinator
Wisconsin Center for the Blind and Visually Impaired
1700 W. State Street
Janesville WI  53546
608-758-6152 (office)
608-751-0960 (cell)