[Blindtlk] Independent Living Skills

Gary Wunder gwunder at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 13 01:54:00 UTC 2014

Hi, Roanna. This is a good first step, but if you live alone you will want
to do a number of things in addition. Cooking is an essential skill.
Learning to do dishes and put them away is another. Doing laundry is a
must--figuring out what can be washed together is important, and once you
have washed and dried it, learning what you can wear it with is also
important. Cleaning house is not hard to learn, but it isn't something one
learns to do by watching someone else if he or she is blind. A clean house
is necessary both for sanitation and the perception you will have about
yourself and the one you will communicate to others.

You will have to learn to shop, to manage a checkbook if you aren't already,
figure out a way to get your mail read--perhaps some with a machine and some
with the assistance of a live reader.

There is a start for you.

Warmly,

Gary