[Blindtlk] cane advice

David Andrews dandrews at visi.com
Tue Jun 24 20:08:30 UTC 2014

The type and length of a cane is certainly primarily a personal
preference thing -- although many of us in the NFB have definite
opinions.  For myself I regard the telescopic cane as a backup, for
the reasons you give.  If you tap hard, which I do, it tends to
colapse periodically, that is one or more joints let go and it
telescopes in.  So, I carry one when I travel, as a backup.  The most
reliable cane is a ong straight one.  It can be somewhat less
convenient at times, although one learns how to handle, store and use
it quickly.  It can be damaged, but not as easily as a folding or
telescoping cane.  Thus my statement that it is more reliable.  I
also think it gives better tactile feedback too.

Dave

E-Mail:  dandrews at visi.com or david.andrews at nfbnet.org