[Blindtlk] Handling a big buffet

Ericka Short ericka.short at wi.rr.com
Fri Mar 7 06:45:12 UTC 2014

I can see but I o the same thing--ask people ahead of me for help.  If it's
at a church potluck or something I just ask people where the spoon is and
they'll tell me it's on the left side of the bowl or something.  They are
pretty good about identifying for me too.  I serve myself and carry my own
plate.  I let someone else go get the coffee or juice,etc.  I can't carry a
plate, a styrofoam cup, and cane at the same time.  I do go get refills on
the drink myself.  Like Arielle, I don't go to the buffets too often.  I
don't know how long it's been sitting out. I'd ask a worker to help me and
try not to go on a busy time like the lunch or dinner hours.  The staff has
enough to do to keep the place clean while dodging little kids and sighted
folks who don't watch where they're going.

There's nothing wrong with  asking them to identify the chow as you go along
and ask them where the serving spoon is.  Just make sure you get to carry
the tray and let them get your drink for you.  They give the sighted folks
refills and sometimes first cups so that's not a biggie. Ask for a table on
the outside of the  section so you can retrace your steps if you want more.
Golden Corral has tiles on the floor where the food is and  carpet on the
eating area.  You could ask them the large scheme of things--salads to the
far right, taco and pizza bar next, meat and sides, dessert, etc.  This way
you can head back to the right bar and ask a worker refilling something for
help.  There is usually someone at  everywhere but the salads and dessert.
After you eat all that who has room for dessert anyhow?

Hope this helps, but remember I’m somewhat sighted, not a total. With only
one eye working though depth perception can bring you surprises. I have a
policy to not eat anything I don't recognize. like you, I usually have
family assistance to some degree.  I don't send them to pick out my food
though.  That just seems wrong.  I want to know what I'm eating.

Ericka J. Short
262-697-0510

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me". Philippians 4:13

"No hand is too small or too big to do good in this world." EJ. Short