[Blindtlk] matters of belief: was: Re: Getting Lost

Julie J. via blindtlk blindtlk at nfbnet.org
Tue May 13 14:34:22 UTC 2014

I think sometimes our contributions to the world are obvious, like Abraham
Lincoln or the Dali Llama, but for most of us it is the seemingly little
things that we don't think about that make the most difference.

A couple of stories...
My son was approached in the hall at school by a freshman that he barely
knew.  He didn't even know the kid's name.  the kid proceeded to thank my
Kiddo profusely for making his mother's day.  My son, having no clue what
the kid was talking about asked what he meant.  The freshman then said that
my son had smiled hugely and waved at his mother who was driving by as my
Kiddo was walking home from school.  She is a single mother, had a
particularly difficult day and was worried about a lot going on in her life.
My son simply smiling and waving at her changed her entire outlook.  She was
able to smile, and regain a sense of calm about her situation.  My son had
no idea who he was waving at, he smiles and waves at most people he passes.
the freshman only figured out that it was my son because of his quite unique
backpack.  Otherwise my son would have never known what a difference he had
made for that woman.

second story...Many years ago I was walking out of the grocery store.  My
cane caught the foot of a man entering the store.  By reflex I said, "I'm
sorry."  The man said in the kindest way, yet quite firmly, "never be
sorry."   I think there may have been more to what he said, but that is what
I remember.  It was exactly what I needed to hear in that moment.  I was
recently divorced, a new single parent, struggling to make ends meet and
sorting out my identity as a blind person.  I had gone through blindness
training.  I knew all the philosophy.  I had good skills.  I thought I was
confident, but why then did I choose to say, "I'm sorry" instead of "excuse
me"?  It was a life altering experience.  No more apologizing to others for
my presence.  I held my head up and walked proudly.  If I had occasion to
I'd say, "excuse me" if I bumped into another person or tapped them with my
cane, but from that moment there was no more, "I'm sorry".

I doubt that man has any clue what a profound difference his simple
statement made.  My son would have never known if the other kid hadn't told
him how much his simple gesture made to his mother.  How often do we tell
people how much they mean to us?  How often do we get that opportunity, as
in the case of random strangers? Just because we can't point to a single
heroic moment in our lives, doesn't mean we haven't made a positive impact
in the world.

Julie