[Blindtlk] Does JAWS read PDF's?

Daniel Meek dmmeek at gmail.com
Sun Nov 2 18:22:52 UTC 2014

Mari,

I don't have any experience with JAWS; however, I do use the free and
open source NVDA screen reader.  I am currently wrapping up my
accounting degree, and the publishers have provided me with PDF
version of the text book, via the school's ADA office.  Of course, I
still have to purchase the physical book before they provide the
digital format.

I have had no trouble with NVDA and these PDFs.  I also have an
iPhone, and through DropBox, I import the textbooks into iBooks.  I
actually find that iBooks does a great job of reading, and can use its
search function better than Adobe's.

Also, if you have a registered copy of Microsoft Office, you can
download WindowsEyes for free.  Since I first learned with NVDA, the
WindowsEyes' keyboard commands seem awkward.  Admittedly, this is just
 my personal preference.

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Good luck.

Daniel