[Blindtlk] [blindtlk] transplants

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 04:06:36 UTC 2014

Yes. Lebers affects the retina so transplantation is not yet an
option. Some forms of Lebers are amenable to gene therapy treatment at
least in trial subjects who have a lot of usable vision. If you do a
search you will find a lot of info online about experimental gene
therapy. Personally I wouldn't go for any medical intervention that
hadn't passed out of the trial phase yet but that's just my opinion. I
went to one of the LCA conferences and though I was a biology major at
the time, I was bored to tears with the presentations. However, it can
be a good way to reach out and support families with younger children.
Also, it is becoming common for Lebers folks to get genetic testing
done. I am not interested in treatment but am considering getting the
testing done because certain genetic variants are associated with
kidney complications and that might be something good for me to know
about before I start getting old. That said, nearly everyone I know
who has LCA-related kidney disease developed it in childhood, so if
you don't have issues now you probably won't get them.
Arielle