[Blindtlk] Questions About Sportswriting/journalism and not giving up on career goal/dreams

Daniel Meek dmmeek at gmail.com
Fri Oct 17 15:04:52 UTC 2014

Kerri,

Forbe's website quote for yesterday may offer you a  little
inspiration in light of your recent frustrations.  "A successful
person is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others
have thrown at him." - David Brinkley.  From time-to-time, it seems
like we all have more than our share of bricks being thrown our way,
but it's from those bricks we need to build on.

Although I have very little interest in sports (don't hold that
against me), I do have a passion for numbers, statistics, and their
various interpretations.  Perhaps you should approach the coverage of
sports from a perspective that gives you the edge.  You stated that
you have an excellent memory for stats, and they are readily available
on the internet; thus, you could write from the quant perspective...
the Sport's Quant.

I realize this is just personal preference, but I would really enjoy
reading an article approaching the big game from a quantitative,
non-visual analysis.  Or the post-game review, of what stats held true
for each team, whether the stats were predictive, etc.  Maybe you
could even create your own statistical measurement of team performance
someday; the skies the limit.

Again, this is just my perspective, as a non-journalist, non-sports
fanatic, and non-visual guy.  However, don't give up on your dream.
You may have to swing the sledge hammer from a different angle to
break down the wall.

Good luck.

Daniel

--
Daniel Meek
Investment Advisor

"Plans are worthless, but planning is everything." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

C.C. Investment Advisors, Inc.
Office: (405) 495-0100
Mobile:  (405) 760-7727
Email: dmmeek at gmail.com
Web:  advisorFYI.net

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
The contents of this message, together with any attachments, are intended
only for the use of the individual or entity to which they re addressed and
may contain information that is legally privileged, confidential and exempt
from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby
notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message,
or any attachment, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message
in error, please notify the original sender by return email and delete this
message, along with any attachments, from your computer. Thank you.