[Blindtlk] giving a speech

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Fri Sep 5 13:06:01 UTC 2014

I don't use power point when doing presentations, but I have tried lots of
different approaches and perhaps something in here will be useful to you.

I tried putting my notes in my Braille Note and reading them with either the
audio or the Braille.  Neither worked very well for me.  the ear piece is
distracting because I couldn't listen to my notes and what the students
would ask.  Because every time I paused to check my notes the silence seemed
to invite discussion.  My presentations have discussion as a key element, so
I didn't want to discourage it in any way.

The Braille worked better.  It did seem to distract the students a bit
though.  The Braille Note was something that no one had seen before and
there'd be questions.  That's okay, to a point.  I would also loose my place
a lot or I'd have to switch between files, which took longer than I really
liked.

Then I tried using my iPad.  this didn't distract the students because it is
a familiar device.  I tried several aps, but found that I lost my place way
too frequently for this to be practical.  Of course I had the problem of not
being able to really listen to the students that I had with the Braille Note
audio.

Currently I am using hard copy Braille.  Yes, the most basic approach is
working the best for me.  I keep everything in a big 3 ring binder.  I have
my notes on one page, then a page with pockets with the hand outs for that
particular topic.  Everything is together and organized.  If I decide we are
running short on time, it is way easier to flip forward, skipping a section
in the middle, getting to the part I want much faster.  After each
presentation I review what worked and what didn't.  It's easy for me to pull
out parts that I want to replace with new ideas or activities.  It's also
easy to swap around the order if I need to do that to accommodate different
lengths of presentation time, group size or whatever.  The students don't
seem distracted by the paper Braille.  After all reading from paper in a 3
ring binder is a pretty common event.

HTH
Julie