[Blindtlk] Embedded calendars on travel booking websites

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 9 04:02:05 UTC 2014

Hi all,

Recently I've had problems booking travel on airline websites,
Greyhound, Amtrak, etc. because JAWS says the edit boxes for travel
dates are "read-only" and I can't find a way to enter my dates.
Sighted people tell me there is an embedded calendar where you're
supposed to click the dates you want to select, but JAWS either
pretends there's no calendar at all, or shows me the calendar but
nothing happens when I find the date I want and press enter on it.
This is starting to happen on formerly accessible sites and it is
driving me nuts! Does anyone know of any tricks to get around the
embedded calendars or to help JAWS figure out how to navigate them?
Thanks for any advice!
Arielle