[Blindtlk] Loud Places

Ringlein, Ellen ERinglein at nfb.org
Fri Apr 3 20:40:43 UTC 2015

Hello Robin,

If you use a cane, you can also detect landmarks and obstacles with it. With a cane you wouldn't necessarily have to trail the wall, as you can detect where there is more open space and perhaps a path. You will also find tables and chairs and other obstacles and you can "look" with your cane where there is room to move around these. A sense of direction also helps.  And if a small child is in your path, than at least you would find him/her before you ran over them. But you should know that using a cane may not prevent the scenario you describe. That kind of stuff occasionally occurs, regardless of how skilled and confidently we move around in the world.

Cordially,

Ellen
Ellen