[Blindtlk] Argus II

Michael bonsai1b at bellsouth.net
Tue Apr 14 15:29:09 UTC 2015

Congratulations James on your successful outcome.  Last week Second Sight,
the developer of the Argus 2, successfully implanted their Orion I in an
animal model.  The Orion I uses the Argus 2 technology and bypasses the eye
and optic nerve, implanting a neural electrode directly on the visual
cortex.  Full scale animal studies will begin in the first quarter of 2016
and human trials slated for some time in 2017.  The Orion I, if successful,
will be able to restore some functional vision to individuals with most
forms of blindness.

Michael